I had a conversation with someone from the UK in work today and discovered that it is apparently not common knowledge on the other side of the pond that:
1. The Republic of Ireland is not ruled by the Monarchy
2. We have a President, a FEMALE president
3. Belfast is not northern Ireland, there are 6 counties involved
4. We have our own language....IRISH
5. The troubles were in the north and not mainly in Dublin
6. We have a different schooling system
I guess I was pretty shocked. This is not coming from a person you would think to be a bit dense, ignorant or anything.....just a normal salt of the earth person, I get on very well with them actually......It's just so strange to me. I think what really hit home was that after clarifying all these matters, it was literally a case of ' you learn something new every day' , and onto the next topic of conversation. If it had been the other way around I would be mortified.