Friday, April 18, 2008

I'm Coming Out


To add to the list of "out" gay actors and singers including "Doogie Howser" himself Neil Patrick Harris, TR Knight from "Grey's Anatomy", Luke MacFarlane who plays Scotty in "Brothers and Sisters (currently being shown on RTE1 and E4) has revealed to Canadian newspaper "Globe and Mail" that he is gay.


In the interview he says "I don't know what will happen professionally. That is the fear, but I guess I can't really be concerned about what will happen because it's my truth..."


Firstly congratulations to Luke for coming out publically. It's not an easy thing to do. Hopefully the fact that he has come out shows a growing acceptance and understanding by the wider community.

5 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed, it seems to gradually get easier, but surely (and I don't know, you tell me) coming out is only the begining and there are difficulties in living a life free from bias, until everyone, regardless of sexuality has the same rights it will still be difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting though. Does coming out prohibit him from playing romantic lead roles, just because people would know he's not really into it? I don't remember ever seeing Rupert Everett play a romantic lead. He was every woman's dream perfection in My Best Friend's Wedding but not the lead, I think he would have made a great leading man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But think about it the other way Milan, Straight characters play Gay roles all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, that's why I'm wondering if it happens the other way round. I can't think of any examples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking of John Barrowman and tipping my hat to him. An openly gay man playing the lead in a major BBC series (Torchwood, and a Bi character at that!) and now on two major BBC1 Saturday night series (excluding his cameos in Dr Who) Hats off to him.

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter