Thursday, February 14, 2008

An Englishman...


...even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one (George Mikes 1912-1987)

There is one thing I hate more than anything else it's queuing. SL will tell you, even in the coffee bar in work I break out in rash at the slightest of delays.

Today I went into what I can only describe as hell - like a reformed alcoholic bringing Americans to the Guinness Brewery I went to the Post Office. Except whereas the reformed alco has to rise above the challenge of drinking his friends' free pints I had to fight the urge to stick an aul ones head through the glass at the counter and killing the shop assistant with his own date stamp.

I realised in one 20-minute wait in Ballsbridge post office why it is that nobody sends letters anymore. Firstly why aren’t newsagents selling stamps anymore? Secondly what’s the point in prick teasing you with those machines that you’re meant to put €2 into when none of them work.

What a load of mickey……

7 comments:

  1. THEY ALL GO TO LUNCH AT 1 O CLOCK WHEN EVERYONE ELSE GOES TO THE POST OFFICE!! WHY?? a QUEUE OUT THE DOOR AND TWO WINDOWS OPEN!!And they're sour faced minge bags half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone think I hit a nerve?

    And could only a female lima bean get away with using the phrase minge bag on the blog???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tib I'm queue-phobic too, specially when driving. I had a 20 min post office episode at christmas with yer wan 2 in front holding everyone back for stamps, gift vouchers, package postage, savings bank etc. She was Ms Post Office woman - a week before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh, did you see The Panel with Colm Meaney talking about saying 'bollocks' on Star Trek, and Andrew Maxwell saying that in the future, Irish swear words will endure after anyone understands what they mean, and 'gee bag' will finally have its day :)

    I have to admit that in my head, I don't really associate 'mingey' with genitalia, for some reason.
    More a sort of petty, grumpy, sourness. But it just seems to fit post office ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pet peeve is slow walkers, give me a queue over a slow walker any day.

    I guess old ladies are my true enemy as they are guilty of both slow walking and holding up queues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesus yiz are all very impatient. I find queues a place to stop and think sometimes. The older I get, the easier it becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind unless the person behing me is crowing into me and or breathing/snuffling/chewing down the back of my neck.

    I like a nice chat with a stranger too.

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter