Saturday, March 22, 2008

Innuendo from the Innocent Days

I know, I should have been in bed ages ago but it's been a while since I've wasted hours online and I bring you a feast of retro-innuendo comedy. Chanced upon this video just now:



It's classic. There literally isn't one sentence that's not laced with 12 innuendos. I don't know how they got away with it back in the days when we were pure and wholesome.

This brought to mind the classic flake adds. What's interesting is the farther you go back in time the racier they are. Check out this one from 1969:



My favourite bit is the latest you-tube comment on this video:
"Hey, nothing wrong with that. I often put phallic objects sensually into my mouth while thinking about a horse."

8 comments:

  1. There's no way that could have gone out on the television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rainbow bit is priceless! It never aired at the time though. It was probably made for a Christmas tape. The ITV stations all used to make compilations of outtakes/rude bits etc etc to play at their staff parties and I reckon this was made for one of them.

    Still fricking damned funny - how did they keep a straight face during it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers tv

    GB - I wouldn't have thought that words like bang, blow, instrument etc had developed sexual meanings by the Rainbow days, but clearly they had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh come on Milan! Like you never watched the Carry On series?!!

    Just found some of those TV station christmas tapes on the internet btw - most of 'em are fairly crap but theres one or two funny ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's right. I suppose it was Benny Hill era too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was growing up in America I regularly snuck out into the livingroom to get to watch Benny Hill at 11 or 12 at night on our local PBS station. (Public Broadcasting, which usually meant shows from Britain and also cool shows like Mystery or Great Performances.)

    It was all about the fact that you saw women topless in sketches. To a 10 or 11 year-old that can be gold...even before puberty put a reason for the curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ... and PBS was also my source for fully-nude women in Monty Python... ahh, memories.

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter