Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Devon Experience



Ive had a lovely week away in Devon. I even managed to get some sun and had a red chest like a robin! I’m (a)pealing now though ;o)


Stayed in a beautiful cottage in a little village, and really enjoyed the peacefulness of it all. Main highlights were visiting the Plymouth Gin Factory and had a little tour and lunch in their restaurant. http://www.devon-online.com/attractions/plymouthgin/Welcome.htm. Did some shopping in the new Drake Shopping Centre and bought my nieces 18th birthday pressie.


It was fascinating to see how they make Plymouth Gin, and had a tasting. I like G&T’s but Plymouth Gin is so smooth that I actually liked it on its own. Wasn’table to drink too much as I was driving. But certainly brought a bottle home with me. PlymouthHoe is also worth a visit, though was a bit blustery on the day I visited. Great views of Drake Island and the little boats coming in and out of the harbour there. There was a guy scuba diving just outside the harbour, not sure what he was looking at but was fascinating to watch him.


Went for a day trip down to Cornwall and visited Polperro and Looe. The sun shone that day, and really enjoyed mooching around the little streets. Also had a day trip down to Dartmouth, such a beautiful place, and yes the sun shone there too. Went on a boat trip along the coast and managed to see some seals warming themselves up on the rocks. Was treated to lunch at http://www.thenewangel.co.uk/. Felt a bit under-dressed though in my summer skirt and top. Food was delicious and the restaurant is right on the sea front, so a lovely view while your eating.


Burgh Island is lovely to visit too. http://www.burghisland.com/ I didnt stay at the hotel, tad pricey for what it is in my view. But walked across the sands to the Island from the main land and had lunch at the pub there, Pilchard Inn.


Went on a few boat trips, I just love the sea. Its so nice to sit back and relax and be on the sea and watch the coast line go by.


I met up with two of my cousins who now live in Devon and who I haven’t seen since their brothers wedding nearly 20 years ago. I think we were all a tad nervous, but we soon got chatting as if no time had passed at all. Was lovely to see them and spend some time with them, caught up on all the family gossip. I am planning to go and visit at the end of August as they are having a family party and their sister and brother will be there too, so more reunions.


So I’m now feeling refreshed and relaxed but not sure how long that will last! lol


x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sitemeter