Tuesday, September 04, 2007

guilt



All this retro music is making me feel guilty about something.

There are a lot of bands that have meant a huge amount to me over the years, starting with the Beatles, I suppose. But The Cure, the Pixies, REM, Violent Femmes, My Bloody Valentine, oh and the CocteauTwins!, Nirvana, The Breeders, Belly, Kristen Hersh, Counting Crows. The Frames The Frames The Frames, of course. These days Bell X1, perhaps Kings of Leon, I'm a little obsessed with their new album.

I can't remember who else I like at the moment, now is not the time to be remembering things: there was a clue in the crossword this weekend, 'Shakespeare's King ____' - I looked at it and nothing came to me. I thought it must have been one of the history plays I've never read. Then today I came across a reference to King Lear, a play I've not only taught more than once, but did for my own Leaving. Shit, it's scary!

Anyhow, back to the issue at hand - what's missing from my record collection as it were, especially these days, because I did flirt with Riot Grrl (NME, Anyone?) is female 'artists'. Very little of the music I buy is actually made by women. My husband's just fallen in love with Regina Spector - I like her, but she doesn't move me.

I'd like my taste to be a little more gender-balanced. Suggestions, anyone?








3 comments:

  1. Where do I start Jo? The new Kate Nash album is pretty good, I've always liked Erin McKeown, Emm Gryner, Amy Winehouse (without the attendant lifestyle disorders), Aimee Mann, Cathey Davey, Joni Mitchell, Carole King and that's before I get into golden age ladies such as the divine Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Judy Garland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that we are major lovers of Sarah McLachlan. She f'ing rocks, the early stuff is amazing. Seconding the Emm Gryner, and the Aimee Mann. Just in my A's we have Amanda Marshall, Annie Lennox, Alanis, Tori Amos. I do love Gwen Stefani, and am just starting to like Bjork again. Hubs likes Corinne Bailey Rae as well. I do highly recommend Sarah tho...we've seen her live many times. Oh, and Nancy Griffith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I like that Bjork is back. And of course I love Tori Amos and Annie Lennox, but they just aren't imbedded in my consciousness in the same way. I like Corinne B_R but she's too lite. Nice for singles but that's it.
    Amy Winehouse? Really? I'd love to know what she'd sound like singing in her own accent!

    Will look into interesting new names like Emm Gryner. Aimmee Mann's a bit womany for me. I like Beth Orton a lot but I get bored. Unmoved... I think the Cowboy Junkies are amazing but none of it really sticks ewmotionally.

    Perhaps I need analysis. This is some Freudian issue :)

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter