Thursday, October 18, 2007

Real World



I drove back home this morning after dropping my daughter to school and going to Tesco, the baby asleep in the car beside me. The sun was shining, it was incredibly still, the oak tree at the bottom of our lane wasn't moving, the sun on it made everything look like Legoland.


You could almost pretend that Global Warming wasn't an issue that would ever affect us, or that the colourful bouquets laid under the trees of the estate on my road, were not for a 16 year old girl who hanged herself.


Then I got a text from a friend whose baby is a little younger than mine saying her husband has just been found to have brain tumour. I'm feeling luckier, yet more vulnerable than usual this morning.

3 comments:

  1. I know, it's like we are all constantly on a knife edge or walking a tightrope but we just don't know it. If we thought about it we'd fall off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a couple of these things happen to me recently Jo. An older relative found out recently that she had an inoperable brain tumour and had only months to lie. She was dead (quite peacefully and relatively painlessly as it turned out) 10 days later.

    I used to try and live life by the "carpe diem" of Dead Poets Society when I was younger but sometimes you forget that there might be no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Sitemeter