Thursday, February 28, 2008
Like Midge, I'm a fairly new convert to the world of "Gym". Because I'm someone who runs in the mountains I never thought I'd enjoy the sterile nature of the indoor version of exercise. I also assumed I'd get every bored. Nothing could be further from the truth, after 3 months I'm there more than ever.It's the ideal place for one of my favourite acticities: People Watching.
1. The shirt wearing seniors: yes there are men in my gym who actually wear shirts with tracksuit bottoms and trainers. It also looks like it's always the same shirt. Hardly the height of breathable-material-technology but it works for them.
2. The social club seniors. Mostly women, over 60, there for a natter and a bit of light stretching in the classes.
3. The glamour-pusses. Ten years previous they would have been gym-bunnies. They're usually blond, very toned, tanned and like to flirt with the gym instructors.
4. There are no traditional gym-bunnies in my gym.
5. The GAA-sock wearing lads. How they do anything wearing them I'll never know. They usually have the scruffiest gear that looks like it has never seen the inside of a washing machine.
6. The body builders. The only ones like this in my gym are the gym instructors.
7. The executives: these are totally unrecognisable from when they walk in in their pinstripe suits looking like Blake carrington and emerge in their shorts looking like Mr. Burns.
7. The gym-obsessive-skinnies (possibly anorexics). Flit from machine to machine and are always there. Sad.
I've just realised that as part of my Health brief I should be trying to sell this place to you, but I reckon you'd be better off going for a walk......